Welcome to the Department of Political Science
Political Science is the scientific study of state and society, and it focuses on the theory and practice of government and politics at the local, state, national, and international levels. The Political Science degree program has always been an integral part of the main curriculum of the South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, ever since its establishment in 1995. The Department of Social Sciences offered the Political Science degree program until a separate department for Political Science was established in 2015
The Department of Political Science has six full-time academics and more than four hundred undergraduates. The department offers both general and special degree programs in the field of Political Science. Further it offers the subject of Public Administration for B.A. general degree program. The medium of instruction of both degree programs is Tamil. However, the department is working earnestly to start courses based on the English medium of instruction as early as possible. The department has recently introduced a postgraduate research degree programs (M.Phil & PhD) to cater to the needs of students
The purpose of our degree programs is to deepen knowledge and understanding of government and politics around the world. Our courses are designed to develop the critical skills of students that will help them succeed in almost any career. Most of our courses have assignments that enhance socio-emotional skills and analytical thinking among students, which are essential for almost all careers in the present job market.
The Department of Political Science has recently revised its curriculum and introduced several new courses to enhance the employability of our graduates with the support of AHEAD (Accelerating Higher Education Expansion and Development) Project funded by the World Bank.
Our vision is to be a leading educational hub of excellence for advanced studies in Political Science dealing with emerging socio-political crises globally and nationally
The Department of Political Science is committed to constructing an encouraging environment for high-quality teaching, learning, research and scholarship to enhance the knowledge and skills among students that will enable them to contribute to the development of the nation and prepare them to the world of work
The graduate profile outlines the abilities the graduates will be able to develop by devoting four years of study to earn the Bachelor of Arts Special Degree in Political Science. The Department of Political Science of the South Eastern University of Sri Lanka is expecting that, “on successful completion of the degree, graduates would be able to fulfill their aspirations to become dynamic scholars, potential innovators, emerging leaders and responsible citizens.” All facilities have been provided to enhance the students’ capabilities in integrated soft skills components by the department.
1. Dynamic Scholars:
The department expects to produce graduates who are highly knowledgeable in the field of Political Science. These graduates should be able to update their knowledge and understanding according to the changes and trends occurring in the field of Political Science. They are expected to keep themselves informed about contemporary research and develop the ability to conduct their own analyses as that would enable them to understand the complexities of contemporary issues in their community and surroundings.2. Potential Innovators:
Innovation is a crucial aspect of academic life. Thus, political science graduates are expected to develop innovative thinking and ideas. They should be able to expand existing knowledge by harnessing their innovation potential as that would be beneficial to society and the country. They must constantly strive to enhance their skills to be able to propose innovative solutions to the problems they may be asked to solve3. Emerging Leaders:
One of the basic aspirations of political science graduates is to become leaders in the future. Thus, they are expected to develop their leadership skills by delving into a good selection of political biographies and learning about leadership traits. They should be able to construct a clear model of what is happening in society, what are the people’s day-to-day expectations, and how states respond to them.4. Responsible Citizens:
Political Science graduates must accept that they are citizens of the country they live in and therefore, they are also part of the world. They should have the competence to deal with people from diverse social, religious and cultural backgrounds who may hail from any part of the globe. Graduates should possess a liberal mindset to recognize different values and cultures in a plural society, as that is essential to build peace and harmony in their own country and with the rest of the world.
- 1. Intellectual Competence:
- - Define concepts, ideas, principles and approaches in the field of Political Science.
- - Examine various issues by employing different methods of political inquiry.
- - Apply theoretical strategies to understand and deal with contemporary issues.
- - Demonstrate current developments and recognize new trends in their field of study.
- 2. Analytical Skills:
- - Identify and analyze different theoretical elements in the field of Political Science.
- - Explore various political issues at the national and international level.
- - Make comparisons between different political theories, institutions and practices.
- - Construct rational arguments and interpret political developments correctly.
- 3. Problem Solving:
- - Analyze the causes and the dynamics of social and political conflicts.
- - Identify ways to move forward by addressing and resolving human disputes.
- - Apply theoretical and practical skills to devise solutions to various conflicts.
- - Deal with complex issues and problems that arise in a plural society
- 4. Communication and Presentation:
- - Learn how to engage with people and deal with them adroitly.
- - Listen to and respect the opinions and thoughts of fellow human beings.
- - Communicate and exchange information and ideas freely and discuss issues effectively.
- - Demonstrate transferable skills, including ICT skills necessary for employment
- 5. Independence and Teamwork:
- - Recognize the need to learn independently but work together.
- - Demonstrate skills in independent learning for career development
- - Discharge individual, team, leadership and professional responsibilities effectively.
- - Make principled decisions in the social and professional domains
- 6. Social and Civic Responsibilities:
- - Assume social and civic responsibilities to assure a sustainable future.
- - Demonstrate their positive attitude and sense of social responsibility to fellow citizens.
- - Exercise their social and civic duties conscientiously for the betterment of society.
- - Instill awareness of the plural nature of the people and the need for an inclusive society
Department of Political Science offers the following subjects
|Subject Code||Subject No.||Subject||Credit|
|PPS||1101||Introduction to Politics-I Political Ideas||03|
|PPS||1201||Introduction to Politics-II Political Structures||03|
|PPS||2101||Elements of Public Administration||03|
|PPS||2102||An Introduction to International Relations and Major Themes||03|
|PPS||2201||Constitutional Development in Sri Lanka||03|
|PPS||2202||Gender and Politics||03|
|PPS||2203||Political Systems in Western Europe||03|
|PPS||3101||Peace and Conflict -Theoretical Analysis||03|
|PPS||3102||Media and Politics||03|
|PPS||3103||Public Policy** Comparative Politics **||03|
|PPS||3201||Conflict Resolution and Management - Case Studies||03|
|PPS||3202||Contemporary Terrorism and Violence||03|
|PPS||3203||Foreign Policy of Sri Lanka||03|
|PPS||4101||State and Region in South Asia||03|
|PPS||4102||Ethnic Conflict and Minority Politics in Sri Lanka||03|
|PPS||4103||Democracy and Human Rights||03|
|PPS||4201||Issues in Sri Lankan Politics||03|
|PPS||4202||Post Conflict Development and Peace Buildings||03|
|PPS||4203||Dissertation / Internship and Report Writing||07|